We have had DTE Energy's Home Protection Plan Platinum since August 2009. We pay $36.95 per month, $1921.40 total over the past 4-plus years for nothing. Every time we have something that needs to be fixed they tell us it is not covered under this 'Platinum' plan. Earlier this year they would not fix our air conditioner. This last occurrence on 11/8/2103 was regarding the ice maker on our refrigerator. So today, 11/23/2013 we called 800-556-0011 to cancel the plan and we were told we can't cancel the plan until 6/14/2014, and it says that in our plan. We never received a document that said we could only cancel our plan one day a year. We never received a document that said what is not covered under the plan. They tell us they list what is not covered on a website, which is updated frequently -- however you can only cancel your plan one day a year. When I called to cancel the plan the person I spoke to was very condescending and disrespectful. I asked to speak to a supervisor and she refused to transfer my call. They obviously believe they have a license to steal.

After being paid $1921.40 over the past 4-plus years and providing nothing in return, DTE Energy is telling us we must continue to pay $36.95 per month for the next 7 months before we can cancel this worthless service.

Does this sound like a company you want to do business with?

I have filed complaints with the Michigan Attorney General Office, and the Better Business Bureau of Detroit.

Review about: Dte Energy Protection Plan.

Had an Experience with Dte Energy?

Comments

Plymouth, Michigan, United States #1338854

It's an annual contract (paid monthly) and the terms clearly spell out that the contract must be cancelled during the renewal window.A list of covered items may be found here.

They are specific to the plan selected:

We've never had a problem and for the most part have broken even on cost.It's nice to have one number to call when things break.